Sunday, July 02, 2006

Nervous Energy

When I was a kid, maybe around 7 to 10 years old, I would wake sometimes early in the morning with nervous energy. I wasn't anxious or worried. I would wake at or before sunrise and just feel driven to get outside and do something. Sometimes I would act on that feeling and get dressed and quietly leave the house so I wouldn't wake anyone. I would usually go for a walk on these mornings. I like the way the sky looks just prior to the sun rising. Just after the sky lightens but before the sun is up the sky has beautiful colors. Its always very quiet right then. Its after the night but before the new day. Its very quiet except for the birds. Usually no one else is up.
Today was a day like that. I woke around 4am and had that feeling. I tried to go back to sleep but finally gave up about 20 after and decided to get on with my day. I pulled on some shorts, a t-shirt, baseball cap and slid on my running shoes. No exercise for me today, this is my first day off on a long deserved vacation for two weeks.
I felt like I had to leave right away so out the back door I went. What do you do at this time of the day? Breakfast, car detailing, grocery shopping, yard maintenance, tinker in garage? Yes, that's right, and all before 8am. I hope the gas powered weed trimmer didn't bother my neighbors too much. I live in the country so there's a good chance it wasn't heard.
I can't figure out what drives me out of bed and the house like that sometimes. I wonder if I should be looking for something. Possibly there is something I am supposed to recognize as I experience it. I'm not really sure, but I do enjoy those early morning skies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home